REVIEW: Shake, Rattle and Roll 13

THIRTEEN YEARS of Shake, Rattle and Roll (to be referred to as SR&R hereon) in the Metro Manila Film Festival--rumor has it that this will be the last of the movie installment. . . I hope NOT.



As usual, SR&R showcased three different stories that usually supposed to make us shake and rattle in fear, and roll in laughter. This is probably the only SRR that tried to scare us all the way. Let's look at the segments one by one and rate them: 5 for BEST and 1 for NEEDS SO MUCH IMPROVEMENT. . .

***

TAMAWO (directed by Richard Somes)
Bikbok (Bugoy Carino) together with his mom (Maricar Reyes), his stepdad Allan (Zanjoe Marudo) and their new baby,  moved to the province after Allan's uncle (Ronnie Lazaro) was killed. Allan substituted for his uncle in guarding the farm. His uncle's death was pinned on enraged carabaos. However what they did not know was the man was killed by a group of mystical creatures called TAMAWO (Ilonggo term for "maligno") after he stole something that was important for them.

The Review--
On so many levels could this movie have done better. The Tamawo creatures were not able to deliver a realistic look (although not much could be said on what they should look or act like), but had on instead what looked like mediocre-finished prosthetic. Maricar Reyes' acting was everything over--over smiling, over crying, over screaming. Zanjoe as an actor, insofar, has yet to disappoint. Here, he easily slipped in the character of a selfish, abusive husband and stepfather. But the revelation for me here is Bugoy Carino, who certainly knows proper timing and performing. In this segment, I only found one scene that pumped up my adrenaline: the chase between Bikbok and the group of Tamawo--which could very well do without the tamawo because Bugoy's reactions in the scene were enough to keep my butt off my own chair.
Verdict: 2 out of 5 -- if not for Zanjoe and Bugoy's acting, this could have gotten 1.

***

PAROLA (directed by Jerrold Tarog)
Best friends Lucy (Kathryn Bernardo) and Shayne (Louise de los Reyes) participated in their school's field trip to a historic place in the province. One night, Shayne went to the lighthouse in the area with their guy friend (Sam Concepcion) but he refused to enter because the area was restricted. Lucy joined her instead to get to the top of the lighthouse. Something happened to the young ladies, and from then on began to hate each other more and more. Rivaling witches from the past (Julia Clarete and Dimples Romana) used these two girls to finish the fight they started hundreds of years ago.

The Review--
This, for me, is the best segment among the three. Story wise, it presented not just the mystical, but the pragmatic and most-likely to happen situation among best friends turned worst enemies; only with a twist of magical powers to avenge themselves from one another. Tarog has impressed the audience yet again with this flick; last year he was the director responsible for the equally-successful Punerarya, a segment of SR&R 12. I'm most affected by the performance of Julia Clarete as one of the witches. With or without the realistic prosthetic on her, I'm sure she would've have delivered an as-gripping performance. Teener star Kathryn Bernardo also shone in performance as the little witch of Clarete--though not in equivalence of the latter's performance. The style of the movie is that of Asian's horror films--sudden shift of angle that reveals an apparition of a scary face, which the audience anticipates, by the way, and yet scares the hell out of them. You do find yourself saying while watching the movie: "I'm sure, dyan lalabas na... Ayan nagbi-build up na yung music... Ayan na!" And then you scream. Jerrold Tarog, I wish you'd make a full-length film as scary as this.
Verdict: 4 out of 5 -- it made me cover my eyes, gasp here and there; it made me shake and rattle.

***

Rain, Rain, Go Away (written and directed by Chris Martinez)
Cynthia's (Eugene Domingo) in-laws own a plastic manufacturing business, factory of which is located in Marikina. Ondoy wreaked havoc in Metro Manila, hitting their business hard, not to mention it happened on the night of his wedding anniversary with Mar (Jay Manalo). If that wasn't enough, Cynthia also had a miscarriage. This caused her to have fear of water, even the rainy season. But something happened in the plastic manufacturing plant that will haunt her and her family (Boots Anson-Roa as the mother-in-law, Edgar Allan Guzman as the brother-in-law) while they are still alive.

The Review--
I have to be honest with you right now, I'm a fan of the Chris M+Eugene D tandem, so I instinctively loved this segment already (I even saw it twice, and they're the reason why I watched SR&R). So forgive me if you will detect a little bias here; then again I will not justify my fandom and will review it as objectively as possible.
This is Chris M's first venture into the art of horror film-making, including Eugene D. It wasn't the typical Asian horror that we watch, where everyone in the cinema screams and covers their eyes--in contrast to Tarog's segment--but this was more of a fear of something tangible, building up inside of each person in the cinema, fear that was similar to Cynthia's. Chris M really is a storyteller. More than scaring the audience, it told us a story of lives--and the dead--intertwined by the disaster that Ondoy was. I also felt that Chris couldn't resist himself and injected bits of humor here and there in the dialog. Eugene was able to carry all throughout the film the character of a fear-stricken woman, a stark contrast of her usual "elevator" and "TV patrol" acting in comedies--"As is where is" acting, as her Ang Babae Sa Septic Tank self said. But since I already saw her do drama in the film I mentioned in the previous sentence, I could say she could have done better in doing drama for this segment. Although, her last scene in this segment still haunts my thoughts even as I write this review.
Verdict: 4 out of 5 -- I got scared, I nearly cried. And yes, I'm a fan.

***
Overall verdict: 3.3 out of 5

I now go back to what I said in the first paragraph--I hope this is NOT the last franchise of the SR&R installment; I hope Mother Lily would end this iconic series with a bang!

How about you? Have you seen SR&R 13? What do you think about the movie? Tell us!

Comments

  1. GREW UP WITH THE SRR series..watched literally ALL SRRs.. FIRST TIME in 17 YEARS that I get to appreciate ALL EPISODES sa Shake Rattle &ROLL, last time I did was PART_4 pa (Guro,Kapitbahay,Madre), then ngaun na lang ulit sa PART_13. I am a movie freak, a horror fan and I get to support PINOY movies. My CRITIC skills would say that this is worth seeing.. May mga konting flaws pa din s CGI and effects but you will get to enjoy the stories as long as you get the RIGHT AMBIANCE sa THEATER (as long as walang maiingay na katabi, mga OA sa pagtawa at pagkkwentuhan o mga magugulong nakakapreempt ng mga scenes.. If ur one of those people who did not enjoy the movie malamang isa sa mga taong yan present sa napasukan mung sinehan..=)), just like on MOST REVIEWS, i highly recommend this part of the franchise.. magaling lang promotion team ng SEGUNDA MANO but SRR13 is much much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just watched it hours ago.

    The first segment fulfilled my stereotype over first episodes of srr's. An confusing, predictable and not that scary segment. One piece of advice? Never make the monster speak FLUENT tagalog. Just like last year's "Isla", the speaking monster, not so good make-up (for the monsters) and for me, the ending, made the segment corny though I applaud the main actors for their surprisingly good performance.

    I agree with you that the second one was the best of the three. I really was on the edge of my seat and was really looking forward to what's going to happen next. I find the "gulat" factor here different from the previous horror movies that I've watched. The cohesiveness of the plot impressed me too. The witches were great and I can only applaud Kathryn Bernardo for her great performance. The great plot was able to save this segment for the bland performance of some actors. Lastly, I loved the ending.


    I expected a lot from the last segment but it kind of fell short for me. I thought I wasn't going to predict it but surprisingly, I did. The realistic nature of this segment gave me chills. As the segment progresses, I think the plot were pieced together but not chronologically, which is good for me but maybe tiring to think about for some. Eugene's acting was flawless. I really believed her hydrophobia-ish behavior. (side comment: the yaya was kind of believable too :D). The effects of the water from the elevator could do more improvement or it must've followed the pattern where all the water will be gone (just like the death in the car). The children ghosts were unexpectedly scary for me. Lastly, the ending was awesome but the "gulat" thing in the end kind of made me raise my eyebrow :D

    Overall, I think the film has improved a lot because it has shown not only one, but two fine episodes. I just hope there are more SRRs to come (because I'm a SRR franchise fan!) but I hope all the segments are as fine as "parola" and "lunod" (yeah, i prefer that title)


    P.S. this is my first time officially critiquing a film :D

    #tukmolsijose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous! Thanks very much for dropping by the blog, taking time to read the entry and leaving a comment. I really appreciate it.

    I suppose it all boils down to the taste, 'no? Unlike you, I'm not much of a horror fanatic, but there are particular horror flicks that really scare me; it was only PAROLA that gave me that feel.

    I think the "right ambiance in a theatre" is kinda ambiguous. What is the right ambiance? One thing for sure is that you can't stop Pinoys from commenting or reacting to what they watch, that's who we are. And that's a sign of a good movie, anyway, right? If there's a suspension of disbelief and the audience begins to participate? Also, the cinemas here need to upgrade! So far, the best cinemas I've been to are MyCinema in Greenbelt and Shang Cineplex. Now that's an entirely different blog discussion.

    Apparently, my review isn't part of the most reviews. Hehe. Thanks, again, Anonymous! Keep supporting Pinoy movies! It's such a joy to watch our very own productions again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jose! (Did I get that right?)

    Congratulations on your first film critique! That's a good writeup you just commented there! I hope you'd also publish it in your own blog so you can share it to your friends. :)

    On Rain, Rain, Go Away: Yes, it did fall short in terms of the gulat factor. But Horror isn't all that naman, right? Like The Ring, which didn't shock us much, but gave us sleepless nights and temporary fear of TVs and wells. But even RRGA wasn't near that. It was named Best Story in MMFF though! And I'd have to agree. :) Chris M has always been a good story teller.

    Thanks for your comment-slash-review, Jose! Hope to hear from your more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I followed your advice so here it is: http://akosipoklong.blogspot.com/


    Thanks you! I'm new to blogging as well... :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Poklong! (I suppose you're the same person as tukmolsijose?)

    Congratulations on the blog! I'm officially following you. Keep those posts coming! You never know who's going to drop by to read your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Must Read