Facing Mirrors and the Missing Meat Between the Buns

"If you don't like what you see in the mirror, don't break the mirror; examine the face."
Vivien Tin (Head of ABS-CBN Customer Business Development)
She said this in context of the local TV programming, as some young media enthusiasts a.k.a. communication students (like myself) complained to her about the supposed "trash" that Philippine Television fed its audience. What Ms. Tin meant there was, "We're only showing what the people want to watch. Whatever rates highest among our shows, we give more and show more of that."

That statement held (and still holds) true, to tell you the truth. Frankly, I didn't like what I see in the mirror (I still don't); even if my face was included in the thousands, millions, billions of people who patronized media products (teleseryes, TVCs, movies, billboards, magazines). I'm not like them! I thought. So I raised this question in my head: "Why not swim against the current? Fight the flow?" And then I think I heard myself say, "Are you stupid? That means deficit for their business!" Whether we/I like it or not, it's really business--done for monetary gain.

***

And then this year, this same issue resurfaced (to me), and bothering me even more fervently as I move my life to the direction of media practice. (That long intro, for this issue.) Let me tell you the story...

Last month, my good friends and I watched "Ang Babae sa Septic Tank" (ABSST) in Cinemalaya at Cultural Center of the Philippines. I've got to admit that I went there on the gala night itself for the love of Eugene Domingo and Chris Martinez (as I may have already said in my movie review that was published before this post), so I can see them in person. But, what I watched, I did not expect to love this much (Curious? Go watch!).

In my world of Eugene Domingo fandom, I found out the night of Cinemalaya Awarding that the movie will be distributed commercially (it felt like the heavens opened and I heard choirs of angels sing) on August 3 in 40 select theatres nationwide. And here I go, declaring, "Oh my gosh, the current is finally changing!" Didn't we/I say that two years ago? When Eugene Domingo herself (yet again) who starred in KimmyDora, an independently produced film, becomes famous nationwide (both her and the movie) through word of mouth? So my friends (who also saw ABSST with me) and I were excited to see people response to the film, to see whether the tides have really shifted.

Come August 3, I was not-so-surprised to hear that Chris M+Eugene Domingo Combo replicated the KimmyDora syndrome! What is it? That tickets were sold out to Last Full Screening in most Metro Manila cinemas on the first day of screening. But I have to say a lot of factors have been added next to the KimmyDora Syndrome--Chris M and Eugene D are certified MIDAS--anything they touch turn into gold; there is seemingly endless write ups on the film and the star--spell publicity!; not to mention a trio of film newbies who have already gathered themselves their own fandom.

Yet somehow, I feel like some of the viewers missed the mighty meaty patty between the buns. Here's what I wish the audience noticed about this wonderfully written and executed film:

  • It's a serious film. Though the scriptwriter (Chris M) and director (Marlon Rivera) said that it doesn't aim to make a statement, well, it did. It's not just another comedy movie that wants to rob you of your paycheck (although I pretty much laughed my way through the movie). According to the scriptwriter, in one international film fest where they participated through the movie 100 (starring Mylene Dizon), jurors and viewers alike (if I remember it right) were surprised that Filipinos could afford to live in a condominium, after all. No wonder foreigners think we're Third-er than Third World--it's all poverty that they see in the Filipino films they watch. Extreme (and I mean, extreme to the point of exaggeration) poverty has long been subject by some local independent films--and so the three aspiring filmmakers in this movie say that their script is Oscar-worthy. We think it's only mainstream produced movies that have formulas? Well watch out, in an independent film, "The shakier, the better!" More controversies, more awards!
  • It's not just about independent film making. In fact, to me, it's not just about the general film making industry. I saw the young people of today, film maker or not, in this film--raving for unnecessary recognition than making an actual difference in the world that they move in; insufferable spoiled brats with mundane concerns, making mountains out of molehills. 
  • Eugene Domingo did not just make us laugh, this is what you call performance. She acted with her eyes, with absolutely no lines. She sang. She satirized herself. Oh yes, she's not just a comedienne, she's actually an actress, a performer, capable of rendering all other emotions and doing something else other than deliver lines. For me, that's entertainment.
    I think I may have also missed some of the juicy patties along the way, but that's my take on this movie which won Audience Choice and Best Film in the previous Cinemalaya Film Festival.

    If we/they/you missed these, then what did we see in the cinema when we paid 150PhP (or more!) to watch ABSST? Can I add--what motivated you to go to SM, Ayala Malls, Rockwell or other cinema houses to queue in a seemingly endless lines for this movie? The humor? The Eugene Domingo?

    Okay, it won't make sense (and it won't be fair) if we just limit ourselves in Ang Babae sa Septic Tank. What, in general, motivates you to go and see a film? Because, apparently, that's what these Media magnates will want to sell. 

    ***

    The last thing I want to do is force on people what I believe is correct. Art is a matter of taste or is subjective, as they say. No one can dictate to you what's beautiful and what's not. The same can (probably) be said about entertainment.

    So, if to you, what's entertaining is people hurting each other or a six-pack abs on 3-D, then that's up to you. However, I challenge you to see the Mass Media industry collectively. What rates on TV? What sells like hotcakes on newspapers and magazine stands? What gets sold out in cinema houses? Then go ask yourselves, WHY does this happen? Don't exclude yourself from the equation. Now, face the truth--like Boy Abunda makes you face you his infamous mirror--do you like what you're seeing in the mirror?

    Comments

    Must Read